FC5, glxgears is there, but not default

David Malcolm dmalcolm at redhat.com
Wed Mar 1 20:50:28 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-02 at 00:13 +1100, David Timms wrote:
> Mike A. Harris wrote:
> > David Timms wrote:

> >> iff its installed: I had to manually install (I guess this is based on
> >> installer choices and hence why some people dont have it installed ?).
> >> # rpm -qf /usr/bin/glxgears
> >> glx-utils-6.4.2-5
> >
> > If you think it should be installed by default, file a bug report
> > against anaconda or comps.
>
> Of general interest: perhaps not. But if there is some extremely cool,
> show off, kick ass, make you want to go and stick Fedora on a machine
> this second 3d gl demo (that isn't too big), that could be installed by
> default ;)
Go and write one!  please! I've wanted one for ages... then get in
Extras, then we can get it in Core...  If one already exists,
suggestions/links would be welcome.

> However, the size is tiny (16k+16k) for gears and info, so for a GUI
> install I reckon it should be included. It's at least a basic GL test
> tool which is proof of GL before trying some games / screen savers etc.
>
> I'll file the request if there is any one else who would agree its needed ??
IMHO glxgears is actually something of a poor benchmark, as it's
measuring how fast a certain specific set of operations work, and IIRC
those operations don't reflect the way a typical 3D game would be
implemented, or other ops you'd want e.g. for desktop bling.  Is it
wrong to optimize a benchmark so that it runs faster?  ...and would it
be wrong to optimize the drivers so that they detect glxgears and
special-case it :-)

But for now if it's the best we've got, I'd suggest filing the request,
(with those caveats), perhaps even to refactor it into its own package?
Maybe something for the FC6 timeframe

Dave