bcm43xx driver on FC5T3 driver doesn't work and freeze my machine.

Alberto Patino pato.lukaz at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 04:51:54 UTC 2006

On 3/1/06, Alberto Patino <pato.lukaz at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/28/06, Patrick von der Hagen <patrick at wudika.de> wrote:
> > You are lucky, my Dell Precision M60 freezes as soon as the module is
> > loaded and so far I failed to get any valuable information in syslog.
> > However, bcm43xx isn't really considered stable, is it? So I just delete
> > the bcm43xx-module after each kernel-update to avoid having it activated
> > by fedora and stick to ndiswrapper>
> Well, I have advances with the FC5 bcm43xx driver for my DELL M60.
>
> In the first try I downloaded from the Dell site the latest broadcom
> driver. This firmware caused my machine to freeze.
>
> I read the kernel source Documentation/network/bcm43xx.txt and I saw a
> list of drivers and versions. The first time I didn't understand the
> version numbers associated with the http link.
> But know I catch that the number is the version asociated withe the
> particular drver. The dell newest driver doesn't match this number so
> I looked up for a driver matching the version. (Fortunately I had
> several dell drives stored in my lap)
>
> Well I had 3 drivers version from DELL, I remove the newest driver I
> installed with bcm43xx-fwcutter and I reinstalled a older version
> matching the one pinpoint out in the bcm43xx.txt file.
>
> Alberto P.
>
> Now I can scan with iwconfig.
>
> However i cannot do network connection yet with the wireless
> interface, I'll  try this later.

well, 4 nights I have the bcm43xx included in FC5 Test3 working. The
weird thing is that I
achieved this with an insolit procedure:

I notice that getting the eth1 wireless interface up was only posibble
when I was using the alias number, so I run the next list of commands.

iwconfig eth1:1 rate 11Mb
iwconfig eth1:1 ap 00:0d:72:7c:24:c9

route add default gw 172.16.0.1 dev eth1:1
route add -net 172.16.0.0 netmask 255.255.0.0 dev eth1:1
route add default gw 172.16.0.1 dev eth1:1

And now the driver is working.

My /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1:

[root at amturing ~]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
# Please read /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt
# for the documentation of these parameters.
USERCTL=yes
IPV6INIT=no
PEERDNS=yes
GATEWAY=172.16.0.1
TYPE=Wireless
DEVICE=eth1:1
HWADDR=00:0b:7d:07:75:d0
BOOTPROTO=none
NETMASK=255.255.0.0
DHCP_HOSTNAME=
IPADDR=172.16.1.34
DOMAIN=
ESSID=2WIRE205
CHANNEL=1
MODE=Managed
RATE='11 Mb/s'
ONPARENT=no

Now its time to test the newest driver from the berlios site!

Thanks this is awesome! :)

--
Don't be evil!!!