FC5t3 - rpm -e hangs up

David Timms dtimms at bigpond.net.au
Fri Mar 3 22:29:12 UTC 2006

Jan Andrejkovic wrote:
> Hello Jim and everybody who is willing to help,
>
> Runlevel 1 did not help, but I have found the source of the problem,
> unfortunatelly not the solution:
>
> The source of the problem is that I have deleted some installed files
> manually, without RPM.
Do you know which files/folder you deleted ?

> Anyway I think rpm should be robust and it should not hang if some files are
> deleted.
> It should display some warning instead.
I wonder what an verify all shows: rpm -Va > rpm-verify.txt
Look for the missing entries
> D: opening  db index       /var/lib/rpm/Basenames create mode=0x42
> Killed
>
> It hanged after the last step and I had to kill it.
How long did you give it before nuking it ?

> I have straced it as well and here is the part of output from strace which
> is running in a neverending loop:
> <cut>
> stat64("/usr/src/kernels/2.6.12-1.1454_FC4-xenU-i686/arch/i386", 0xbfbd6784)
> = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
> stat64("/usr/src/kernels/2.6.12-1.1454_FC4-xenU-i686/arch", 0xbfbd6784) = -1
> ENOENT (No such file or directory)
> stat64("/usr/src/kernels/2.6.12-1.1454_FC4-xenU-i686/arch/i386/mach-visws",
> 0xbfbd6784) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
I'm not so sure it is in a never ending loop; with -vv I guess rpm is
going to take a lot longer to run. Notice that the file name is changing
-> it is making progress through a large list (I would say).

> I have deleted my FC4 xen kernels in FC5t3 manually because I thought that
> rpm dabase is already clear. I was wrong.
> My RPM version is: 4.4.2
>
> Do you think I should open bugzilla ticket?
 From your info (deleted some files), it seems this is essentially
self-inflicted. Also, can't tell without seeing the verify result (maybe
post it to your web site?) whether there is an underlying problem to
solve...

> Thank you very much,
>
> Jan
No problem, DaveT.