Re: Default Desktop Behavior

On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 02:17 +0100, Uno Engborg wrote:
> Todd Simi wrote:

> I would have replied, the problem is that I can't really decide whats best.
> A change like this really needs usability testing with real users to
> evaluate.

My two cents:

Windows that I have requested, ie: starting an application, clicked on a
link from within a window, opening on top is great. However windows that
pop up of their own accord are NOT the right way to do things. I can't
tell you how many times I've been coding and a messenger gaim window
pops up because someone started a chat with me and my code goes into
their window. However on the flip side, I have clicked on links within
documents and the like that well I just forget about and partway through
the day notice I have a browser or X/Y open and haven't looked at what I
was interested in.

Configurable default for both situations is in my opinion the best way
to move forward.