Re: ndiswrapper missing?

Dave Jones <davej redhat com> wrote:
it's deliberatly not shipped.

> I may have overlooked. Is there a reason not to bundle ndiswrapper with FC5T3?

- it creates a situation where if you get a kernel bug, I'm not even going
to look at it, because *anything* could have happened, and as the driver
is effectively binary only, there's nothing I can do about it.

- it reinforces the message to hardware vendors that it's ok to not
release documentation or native Linux drivers, because 'they can just use
the windows driver'. This is not a 'might happen' btw, there are already
companies saying this when you call them to ask for documentation.

 Makes perfect sense. I admire fedora taking the same stance as OpenBSD.

I'll return my unsupported USB dongle and ! get a Ralink/atheros one.

Josh

Yahoo! Mail