Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 21:04:13 -0800 (PST)
From: Leslie Satenstein
Subject: Silly thing like a mount command appears to not be working
correctly?
To: fedora-test-list redhat com

Here is the scenario

Fedora core4 on a dedicated 80 gig drive /hdb. (All install defaults taken)

Fedora core5 on a 200 gig dedicated drive. (All def! aults taken)

Using system bios, I can boot from either drive.

I can mount the boot partition from either system to the other, but I cannot mount the data partitions.

My commands were (from root)

mkdir /other (on each hard drive)

mount -t ext3 /dev/hda? /other
where I tried ? from 7 all the way to 1. On the core4 system,
The system could not find values of /dev/hda7 through 3 . Refused /dev/hda2 and showed me the boot partition for /dev/hda1

On the core5 test3 system using the default values as set up by annaconda at install time, I could see the boot partition on /dev/hdb1 but no other partition.
Is there something I am doing wrong? I tried many flavours of xxx for the mount -t xxxx (auto, ext2, ext3) , eluding -t parameter.

Your test against a vanilla corex drive would be appreciated.

Leslie

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

------------------------------

Message: 4
> Fedora core4 on a dedicated 80 gig drive /hdb. (All install defaults taken)
>
> Fedora core5 on a 200 gig dedicated drive. (All defaults taken)
>
> Using system bios, I can boot from either drive.
>
> I can mount the boot partition from either system to the other, but I
> cannot mount the data partitions.
>
> My co! mmands were (from root)
>
> mkdir /other (on each hard drive)
>

> mount -t ext3 /dev/hda? /other
> where I tried ? from 7 all the way to 1. On the core4 system,
> The system could not find values of /dev/hda7 through 3 . Refused
> /dev/hda2 and showed me the boot partition for /dev/hda1
>

> On the core5 test3 system using the default values as set up by
> annaconda at install time, I could see the boot partition on /dev/hdb1
> but no other partition.
> Is there something I am doing wrong? I tried many flavours of xxx for
> the mount -t xxxx (auto, ext2, ext3) , eluding -t parameter.
>
> Your test against a vanilla corex drive would be appreciated.
>
> Leslie

Your problem may have to do with the fact that default installs use LVM
for partitions other than /boot.