FC5-T3: System->Administration->Authenication: SAMBA testing

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Thu Mar 9 00:01:04 UTC 2006

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> Could  not get Authenication menu item to come up under Gnome.  I am trying
> to get SAMBA running and comparing all settings against a good FC4 production
> and I am not able to get M$ Windows to see the samba shares.  Tried using the
> Servers->Samba dialog but it was useless - tried /etc/samba/smb.conf directly but
> but again, useless.  I can get a Fedora 4 -> to see FC5 share but with no access,
> even with "everybody" permissions. Changed SELinux control over Samba to disable
> all security context and it still won't work.
>
> When I setup Samba on FC4, I had to setup the authenication and "Enable SMB
> Support" which is what I am trying to do in FC5-T3.
>
> Any suggestions or has anyone gotten Samba to work?
>
> Dan

Ok, I was able to get Samba on FC5-T3 to work somewhat.  I think
it has something to do with wins cache data or something like that
because when I am on a windows box, I tried something like:

On a windows system, using Explorer:
Address: \\copper\app1

Windows reported an error in trying to locate "copper"
which does not exist.  So I changed the "copper" part to
an IP address such as:

Address: \\10.1.0.5\app1

And I was able to access the FC5-T3 share.

Oddball is that nslookup in the windows command windows
shows the proper nameresolver copper: 10.1.0.5 so I think
that windows explorer must either be using cache wins
data or dns that is not properly resolving to the proper
IP address.  Not sure how to track this one down.

I restored all the FC5-T3 defaults as far as SELinux
does so it appears all is working well at that end.
I still have not figured out why FC4 to FC5 is not
correctly working as far as permissions go, i.e. on
FC4 - I am forced to provide authenication EVERY TIME
whereas on Windows - none is needed!  Ahhh.....  I will
research this some more...

I am still having problems with getting the menu of
System->Administration->Authenication to come up.

Dan