kernel 2038 x86_64 segfault

shrek-m at gmx.de shrek-m at gmx.de
Sat Mar 11 22:46:34 UTC 2006

On 11.03.2006 22:36, Giuseppe Castagna wrote:

> shrek-m at gmx.de wrote:

>> you can use what you want
>> -ivh = install (add) new kernel
>> -Uvh = update the kernel(s)
>
> Yes, of course you can -Uvh, so as to erase a working kernel

with rpm an kernel you should think at least 3 times what you are doing
before you execute rpm -Uvh kernel* ;-)
but it is no problem to boot into rescuemode an install a working kernel.

> that cannot be found any longer in rawhide,

but in your yum cache.

oops,
# du -sh /var/cache/yum/development/packages/
20K /var/cache/yum/development/packages/

# grep keepcache /etc/yum.conf
keepcache=0

and i would swear the default is 1

# man yum.conf
keepcache
Either ‘1’ or ‘0’. Determines whether or not yum keeps the cache
of headers and packages after succesful installation. Default
is ’1’ (keep files)

this is one reason i prefer do download the kernels via `wget -cr ...`
`rpm -ivh kernel*.rpm`
or for yum tokeep=6

> and replace it by a kernel you do not know whether it will work and in
> this way completely screw your workstation.

this is rawhide :-)

> I can just more simply throw the computer from window and hope it will
> work again :-)

:-)

--
shrek-m