no floppy dir in /media ? bug ????

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 00:01:53 UTC 2006

On 3/12/06, David Timms <dtimms at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> Since floppy disk insertion aren't usually detectable, I guess you need
> to use a tool like Michal suggested to mount it. But I don't have a
> floppy drive on the couple of PC's that I have ;)

Perhaps its best not to comment if you don't have the hardware
configuration to do a functionality comparison.. to avoid
misrepresenting reality and avoid unnecessary confusion as to how
things currently work.

For my system with a floppy when running Gnome, the floppy drive shows
up in my Computer window and I can mount it via normal gnome
filemanager or panel interactions.  From a gnome desktop pov this is
absolutely no different from fc4 experience when using gnome desktop
functionality.  It doesn't matter that floppy media insertion can't be
detected... gnome's file manager and gnome's disk mounter applet "see"
the floppy drive because hal "sees" the floppy drive.  When using the
gnome desktop, whether the fstab entry or the mountpoint exists
doesn't matter.. gnome is using the information provided by hal to
tell the desktop user that the devices exist.

For KDE or other desktop environments I can not comment, because I do
not use those enviroments regularly on a fedora system where I need to
care about mountable media.

What is different, for all devices not just the floppy, is interaction
with mounting at the cmdline.  I think its pretty clear from past
discussion on the list, when this changed was introduced.. that people
who have grown use to the previous behavior of hal and fstab-sync to
aid in cmdline mounting are going to be confused by the change.  Let's
make sure we don't add additional confusion by giving them factually
deficient information when they ask for an explanation.

-jef