Re: why do I have battery, button and ac modules loaded on a desktop machine?

On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 12:19 +1030, n0dalus wrote:
> On 3/12/06, John Summerfied <debian herakles homelinux org> wrote:
> > > I mean, isn't there some way that "hal", or anaconda, can figure out
> > > whether I am a laptop or a desktop machine and setup the services and
> > > modules appropriately?
> > >

> > Probably not reliably. What of a desktop based on a mobo running a
> > Pentium M? I've heard of such.
> >

> Can't it just check for the presence of a battery?

the only way to do that is.. to load the kernel module

kernel modules are also small, and.. even more: batteries are hotplug.
You can add batteries after boot. Even from 0 -> 1.
In fact I'd not make batter and ac a module, but just build it into the
kernel...