I write "shell" for "text-mode" :-[

From text-mode, you are okay that user have to create a dir to mount his /dev/fd0, 'cause there is no graphical way :
Have a look at this :
[ i am within TEST-MODE only ! ]

[root ws044 ~]# gnome-mount -d /dev/fd0
gnome-mount 0.4
X display not available - using text-based operation.
Mounted /dev/fd0 at "/media/floppy"
[root ws044 ~]# gnome-umount -d /dev/fd0
gnome-mount 0.4
X display not available - using text-based operation.
Unmounted /dev/fd0.
[root ws044 ~]#

There is a:
-n  --no-ui   no dialogs
-t  --text    text mode
hopefully one of them would do the trick ?

Well, as you can see above, the gnome-mount -d /dev/fd0 works even on text-mode ! Returning the message : X display not available - using text-based operation.
But mounting the volume : Mounted /dev/fd0 at "/media/floppy"

Unfortunatly, there is no man-page for the gnome-mount command.

I think the problem is that peolpe can try to mount floppy within text-mode, with the old mount command, and seeing that there is no mount point (/media/floppy), they might want to create this mount point. And to make such a creation, you must be root, which is not the most case....

I try a kind of #gnome-mount -t -d /dev/fd0
but it makes no changes with #gnome-mount -d /dev/fd0

Larry

DaveT