Re: ran out of input data - system halted.

On 3/14/06, Gordon Stewart <gorste tesco net> wrote:
> Dear List
>
> Can any one tell me what causes the kernel to say:
>
> ran out of input data - system halted.
>
> I have my system in rescue mode and reading around i may have to install a new kernel.  Can any one advise me if this is the right thing to do or is there a simpler fix.  I do not want to reinstall the system if possible.

The first thing I would try would be to re-install the kernel package
from your install media (you'll probably need to use --force since
it's already installed).  If that doesn't fix it, re-installing might
be your best option, but I would definitely do a thorough check of
your hard drive first, because as Alan says, it sounds like a disk
problem.
--
 _  Ben Steeves                                    bcs metacon ca
( ) The ASCII ribbon campaign                  ben steeves unb ca