kernel 2054 is really broke!

For starters, it no longer finds my ethernet. Marvell 88E8001 gigabit controller (skge module). None of the vfat file systems are mounted. There seems to be lots of modules missing. If I do an lsmod, there are only 7 modules shown. I used to have lots. The system is x86_64. Kernel 2054 worked great. Thre is not much information in dmesg or messages files. Something is breaking very early in the boot process. Anyone have any ideas about where to start with this?

Jim