Rescue disk

Ben Steeves ben.steeves at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 00:49:13 UTC 2006

On 3/15/06, John Summerfied <debian at herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:
> Ben Steeves wrote:
> > On 3/13/06, Gordon Stewart <gorste at tesco.net> wrote:
> >
> >>No I need the rescue disk to fixed the issue.
> >>

> > As I said in my original email, there's a full rescue environment on
> > CD 1.  Just boot off of that.   From the sounds of it though you might
> > be just as well served by re-installing.
>
> _I_'d stuff around until I fixed it; then I'd probably know what I did
> wrong.

So would I.  Then again, I'd have a fair chance of understanding what
went wrong in the first place... but then I'm pretty much a gearhead.
When an inexperienced user comes across a problem that prevents their
system from even loading the kernel, re-installing is not only the
path of least resistance, it's also the past of maximal sanity.

> I _hate_ problems that get fixed by magic. Only yesterday, on Windows, I
> discovered that creating a link to run a program using the UNC name

Problems are never fixed by magic -- they go away, but they were never fixed.
 _  Ben Steeves                                    bcs at metacon.ca
( ) The ASCII ribbon campaign                  ben.steeves at unb.ca
 X     against HTML e-mail                     GPG ID: 0xB3EBF1D9
/ \ http://www.metacon.ca/ascii      Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves