Re: Kernel 2054 breaks nvidia.ko loading

On 3/15/06, Jim Bevier <jim jbsys com> wrote:
> It seems the kernel from today, 2054, breaks the loading of the nvidia.ko
> module.  I get the message "nvidia: Unknown symbol print_tainted".  Building
> of VMware module does not have any problem.  The last good kernel that
> worked was 2045.  Was the symbol deleted?

I am seeing a problem with loading the nvidia module as well.  Builds
just fine from a src.rpm acquired from:
http://www.leemhuis.info/files/fedorarpms/MISC.lvn/graphics/  Running
x86_64, as I think you are.  I cannot seem to find the problem here.
I downloaded kernel-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5.src.rpm and did an rpmbuild -bp
to get the source tree.  I found print_tainted seemingly defined just
fine in kernel/panic.c:
const char *print_tainted(void)
{
        static char buf[20];
        if (tainted) {
                snprintf(buf, sizeof(buf), "Tainted: %c%c%c%c%c%c",
                        tainted & TAINT_PROPRIETARY_MODULE ? 'P' : 'G',
                        tainted & TAINT_FORCED_MODULE ? 'F' : ' ',
                        tainted & TAINT_UNSAFE_SMP ? 'S' : ' ',
                        tainted & TAINT_FORCED_RMMOD ? 'R' : ' ',
                        tainted & TAINT_MACHINE_CHECK ? 'M' : ' ',
                        tainted & TAINT_BAD_PAGE ? 'B' : ' ');
        }
        else
                snprintf(buf, sizeof(buf), "Not tainted");
        return(buf);
}
EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(print_tainted);
Looks like the symbol is there and exported.  Granted, I'm not an that
knowledgeable about such things, but that looks okay to me.  Anyone
have any ideas what is going on here?

Jonathan