SMP mptable bad signature

Mike Leahy mgleahy at golden.net
Thu Mar 16 15:48:36 UTC 2006

Hello list,

After updating to the most recent kernel (kernel-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5), I
started getting a new error at startup.  At the point where I would
normally see a whole bunch of stuff like messages from SELinux and udev
whiz by, I only get one error message, that says something like "SMP
mptable: bad signature (0x0)", followed by "BIOS bug: MP Table errors
detected (see hw vendor)".  After that, the kernel starts to boot, and
the Fedora interface begins loading.

I'm not sure if this error was always there, but until now I have never
seen it.  It may be that I just never saw it because of all the
SELinux/udev messages and such that normally scrolled by before (the
older kernel that I have installed is kernel-2.6.15-1.2032_FC5, and it
still shows these startup messages).  The machine seems to have booted
fine, and despite not seeing any SELinux/udev messages at the initial
startup, everything seems to be working the same as before.  Is there
anything I should try in order to fix this SMP error, or can it safely
be ignored?

Mike