Kernel 2054 breaks nvidia.ko loading

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Thu Mar 16 16:17:15 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 11:44 -0400, Ben Steeves wrote:
> On 3/16/06, Gilboa Davara <gilboad at gmail.com> wrote:
> > D. User, not being forced to install updates, (and being unaware of
> > the problem) doesn't install the fixed kernel.
>
> On that note (not entirely related to this thread, I admit): has
> anyone ever considered the idea of having firstboot ask the user  if
> they'd like to run an initial yum update before they even finish
> booting the first time?  It might cut down on the number of "Fedora
> ate my baby" posts.

In the past, an up2date run has been done in firstboot.  It's kind of
horky as it's really only viable for "normal" networking and not for
cases which require, eg, pppoe or dialup.

One thing that we'll probably be looking at enabling in FC6 is the
ability to get updates at install time so that you even install the
package only once.  But it will have somewhat similar constraints on how
we can retrieve those updates

Jeremy