any way to install fc trough the internet ?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 18:02:42 UTC 2006

On 3/16/06, LarryT <guess.who at freesurf.fr> wrote:
> Booting rescue cd  allows to install from ftp NETWORK (=private) server
> ; but not (afaik) from the INTERNET ! One must to FIRST download iso,
> then mount, then copy to dir on pc having ftp server running.
> Right ?

I assure you.. that I can start installs from ftp servers on the
internet (aka fedora mirrors) using the available network install
options available via the askmethod procedure. You just need the
public ip of the ftp server, and you need to know the path on the ftp
fedora mirror which ends with "os/" and includes the "Fedora"
directory.

For example, to attempt the ftp install of FC4 from the ftp mirror
ftp.linux.ncsu.edu  ip address  152.1.2.172

i would first burn a copy of rescuecd.iso from the fc4 tree by
downloading it from
ftp://ftp.linux.ncsu.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/4/i386/os/images/

I would then boot from the rescuecd and follow the instructions for an
ftp install, copnfiguring the network settings as required.

When it asks for information about the ftp server i would use either
the dns hostname
ftp.linux.ncsu.edu  or the ip address 152.1.2.172 if i don't have a
working dns configuration.

When it asks for the path on the server i would use
/pub/fedora/linux/core/4/i386/os/

The install would then proceed by downloading from the ftp server. A
similar process can be used for any fedora mirror
http://fedora.redhat.com/Download/mirrors.html which you feel will
work reliably. Whether or not any specific public mirror will work
reliably enough for you to complete an install is a question that I
can not answer. I local mirror that you control on your local network
is always prefered to minimize potential network problems outside of
your control.

-jef