Kernel 2054 breaks nvidia.ko loading

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Sun Mar 19 14:40:22 UTC 2006

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 at 12:33pm, "Mike A. Harris" <mharris at mharris.ca>
wrote:

> Jeff Spaleta wrote:
>> On 3/17/06, Gilboa Davara <gilboad at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> What alternative are you offering to power our Xgl/Bling/what-ever
>>> desktops? (Let alone running Quake4 at 1600x1200...)
>>
>> Doesn't the intel graphics sets now provide enough open support for bling?
>
> So, everyone who wants to have Bling is then forced to purchase an
> Intel motherboard with Intel CPU?  Thanks, but no thanks.  What if

I can't believe I'm the first to point this out, but working, stable 3D
support isn't all about bling.  Just try to run something like
Pro/Engineer (a high-end, professional CAD/CAM package) or AVS Express
(for scientific visualization) on a non-accelerated system.  It's
*painful*.  More and more high end packages like those are being ported to
Linux.  But corporations aren't going to migrate their users' desktops to
Linux if they can't run the apps with decent performance and stability.
IMO, *that's* why 3D is important.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering