Re: Kernel 2054 breaks nvidia.ko loading

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 at 12:33pm, "Mike A. Harris" <mharris mharris ca> wrote:

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
On 3/17/06, Gilboa Davara <gilboad gmail com> wrote:

What alternative are you offering to power our Xgl/Bling/what-ever
desktops? (Let alone running Quake4 at 1600x1200...)

Doesn't the intel graphics sets now provide enough open support for bling?

So, everyone who wants to have Bling is then forced to purchase an
Intel motherboard with Intel CPU?  Thanks, but no thanks.  What if

I can't believe I'm the first to point this out, but working, stable 3D support isn't all about bling. Just try to run something like Pro/Engineer (a high-end, professional CAD/CAM package) or AVS Express (for scientific visualization) on a non-accelerated system. It's *painful*. More and more high end packages like those are being ported to Linux. But corporations aren't going to migrate their users' desktops to Linux if they can't run the apps with decent performance and stability. IMO, *that's* why 3D is important.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering