Re: Fedora Core 5 Test Update: GConf2-2.14.0-1

On Monday 20 March 2006 11:32, Miles Lane wrote:
> Sorry, I don't understand why the packages in
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/testing/5/i
>386/ are not being added to Rawhide.  I am interested in tracking Rawhide,
> since I look forward to useing NetworkManager and Gutenprint 5.0.
> Is there a plan to eventually add NetworkManager and Gutenprint
> to the stable FC5 tree?  Would you recommend I track stable instead?
> Since FC5 is already done, why is "testing" in this update path?

This has to do with hour our collections work.  Rawhide pulls from the
packages built specifically into rawhide, and from the packages in FC5 +
Updates.  It does not pull from updates-candidates.  Updates-candidates are
in fact candidates and may not make it into the fc5 updates list.  Once it
makes it into updates, then it would automatically be in rawhide, unless
there is a newer version of that package already in rawhide.

These updates require more testing before being allowed into FC5 Updates,
hence the 'testing'.

NetworkManager is in FC5 (you have to enable the service yourself though, we
disable it by default as it doesn't work out of the box for a wide variety of
users).  Not sure about Gutenprint.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora