Re: Will we ever get a i686 build of fedora core

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 17:16 +0530, parta wrote:

Hi

I am wondering why people at redhat don't release fedora core for
i686. I think it will be better on performace.

what makes you think that? Fedora is currently optimized for i686 (well
"generic i686" so a blended mix of Intel and AMD i686's)... what would
be the gain of cosmetically renaming the rpms to i686???
(and also losing VIA C3 capability etc)

Speaking of C3, are there still plans to switch the default optimisation to -Os instead of -O2, which should improve performances on low-cache CPUs, like C3, and should probably not hurt on others ?

Xavier