Re: Vendor only distributable packages - was " Kernel 2059 from Dave Jones fixes nvidia.ko loading"

On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 17:55 -0600, Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 09:23 +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> > > I really doubt there could be legal implications to pointing to an ftp
> > > site.  Even if they prefer people go to the webpage there has been
> > > enough cases now about linking to pretty much settle that issue.
> > >
> > > But has anyone at RH tried asking for permission?  Including preset repo
> > > lines for livna is right out, both legally and morally for the mission
> > > of Fedora.  But what about the idea of a legal but non-free catagory for
> > > Flash, Acrobat, Nvidia, ATI, etc?
> >
> > what makes you think NVidia and ATI are legal?
> >
> Since the vendor(s) makes them available for free download I would guess
> there is no question of legality here.

so if I put up a copy of The Matrix DVD for free download there is no
question of legality either?
(hint: not all the code that created the nvidia .ko file is owned by
NVidia, some of it comes from the kernel. Same and even more so for ATI)