Unpriviledged remote suspend

James Hubbard jameshubbard at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 16:47:16 UTC 2006

On 3/23/06, David Wood <djwood1 at qinetiq.com> wrote:
> Trying out FC5, I'm rather surprised that an unpriviledged user can initiate
> suspend from a remote X terminal.
> The shutdown option is missing (as expected)
> but the suspend option remains.
> As my HP nx9010 laptop doesn't seem to recover from suspend, this means any
> remote user can trigger an instant denial of service!
> Should this be bugzilla'd (or has it been noted already?)

The user has a laptop.  Why wouldn't you want them to have the ability
to suspend?  If you were really concered with unpriviledged access,
you wouldn't give it to them right?

We've noticed the same behavior with Dell M70's.  The suspend doesn't
work and when it's docked the supplied nv driver doesn't allow output
to the connected LCD.  We've tried the linva driver but it complains
about needing kmod_nvidia which I can't find on the linva repo.