My FC5 install experience

David Timms dtimms at bigpond.net.au
Sat Mar 25 23:44:58 UTC 2006

nathan bullock wrote:
> Here are just some comments about how my installation experience went.
> CDs were available at http://192.168.1.1/iso/disc[1-5]/...
>
> On the computer that I was installing FC5.
> Booted from disc1. At the prompt typed "linux askmethod", then chose
> http and pointed it at http://192.168.1.1/iso
>
> ?? Two slight oddities at this point:
>  - At this point it said something like "Local installation media
> found", this was a little disconcerting since I thought it was still
> going to boot from the CD.
I think it *had* booted from CD !
> This message could probably be a little
> clearer.
If you have a disc1 in your drive I think the installer makes the
decision to use files from that in preference to network /disc1

>  - It also asks if you want to test your CDs. Why? You aren't
> installing from CD?
Makes sense if it is using the disc1 rpms.

> After I picked all the appropriate settings it starts the install by
> formatting my hard drive then promptly crashing. A dialog came up and
> I was able to find out that it couldn't find
> http://192.168.1.1/iso/disc1/Fedora/RPMS/gjdoc-0.27-3.1.i386.rpm. That
> was because this file is actually on Disc2.
The solution here is to set the http folder to whatever/iso/disc1.
The installer tries this path but also tries ../disc2 etc when it needs
other discs. I only found this by accident, by Ctrl-Alt-F3/F4 showing
messages about what locations are being tried.

> I want to do the http install but instead of burning the first disc to
> a cd I would like to copy just a subset of that first CD to a USB key.
> Can I do this? Which files would I need to put onto the USB key?
>
> I also want to say thank you to everyone who helps with Fedora Core.
> So far FC5 is looking pretty nice.
I have done it in the way referred to by Clyde. You do need a way to
boot the USB stick (either modern bios, or some other method!).

DaveT.