NetworkManager 0.6.2; yum problems

David Timms dtimms at bigpond.net.au
Mon May 1 23:09:17 UTC 2006

Michel Salim wrote:
> On 5/1/06, Michel Salim <michel.salim at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Incidentally, yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update NetworkManager
>> inexplicably claims that no updates are available; I had to resort to
>> downloading the RPMs manually. I even tried modifying the
>> configuration file to point manually to the server that definitely has
>> the files (mirrors.kernel.org). Updating to yum 2.6.1-0.fc5 does not
>> help. Has anyone else seen this? I tried resetting the yum caches.
>>
> This is on x86_64; yesterday I tried adding i386 repositories to my
> configuration (renaming them by appending -i386 to the end), and,
> similarly, yum seems to not find the packages I requested even though
> it enabled the repositories just fine.
I saw the same myself. First machine: (on i386)
/etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates-testing enabled=1
yum install yum
got the newer yum that I wanted to test (and also saw all the other test
updates).

On a second machine (i386), the same process (with other repos disabled)
repeatedly says no updates available. As you mention it could be the
random mirror not being up2date, and this was the case for me.

Previously I had also tried modifying the
/etc/yum.conf
metadata_expire=1800 to 180000
At the time it was a good idea because it meant pup did not keep going
to fetch the repo data stuff every time I started pup / pirut during the
day (and I was wanting to do multiple separate package installs).
Reverting it to the default value was a much better idea.

I think the second problem was I had inserted a specific local mirror as
the first baseurl and set the order to be sequential, rather than
random. This meant the repo data was always downloaded from the specific
(I guess not current mirror). At the time it did not have some of the
rpms mentioned so yum fell through to the default mirrorlist, which
would have had the files.

I decided to manually wipe the cached repo data files for -testing, and
this then worked straight away.  (could have done yum clean ?

If you could try the following commands, and see if between any of them
it begins to work as expected ?
yum clean metadata
yum update ...
yum clean dbcache
yum update ...
yum clean cache
yum update ...
yum clean headers
yum update ...
yum clean packages  (wipes out your rpm cache  (if you changed a setting
to keep it)
yum update ...
yum clean all
yum update ...

Maybe something in the above info will be useful, if not the messages
generated by cli yum would be helpful. (maybe with -d higher than 0).

DaveT.