kernel 2.6.16-1.2107_FC5 breaks graphical boot (and cups and httpd)

shrek-m at gmx.de shrek-m at gmx.de
Fri May 5 06:06:31 UTC 2006

>>I'm not trying to point fingers and/or throw mud.
>>My question is, will it be possible to find a mid-route, which combines
>>the shortest possible vulnerability period with a minimal risk of having
>>DOA machines? You'd agree that having 1000s of DOA machines doesn't
>>really sit well with Fedora's mission statement...
>>(Though, in Dave's defense, a machine that doesn't boot is a machine
>>which cannot be compromised ;))
>>

>What do you think is the "mid-route" for time critical security fixes?

the mid-route seems to be that there are no longer  2107_FC5 kernels  in
fc5 updates or updates-testing.

$ lftp download.fedora.redhat.com:/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/5/i386>
ls *2107**
    2096 is the last

$ lftp
download.fedora.redhat.com:/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/testing/5/i386>
ls *2107*
    2069 is old

and davej yesterdays 2108 is history
http://people.redhat.com/davej/kernels/Fedora/FC5/RPMS.kernel/