Fedora Core 5: gvim, eog, firefox kills X issue, perhaps Xen issue

Greg Morgan drkludge at cox.net
Thu May 18 06:40:15 UTC 2006

I need some advice on how to track down some problems that I am having
with FC5.  When I started having a problem with a gvim, dot/graphviz,
eog develop/compile/test cycle the other night, I thought I'd try and
post to this list for insight.  I just reproduced the error tonight.

1.) Open a  gnome 2.14.0 terminal window, package

versions=
gnome-terminal-2.14.0-1.

2.) Use gvim to start editing a graphviz file.  It is a small graph of
around 28 lines.

versions=
vim-minimal-6.4.007-4
vim-common-6.4.007-4
vim-enhanced-6.4.007-4
vim-X11-6.4.007-4

3.) Make some changes and save the file. Use :w to save. Keep all gvim
and terminal applications open.

4.) Compile the graphviz file using the dot command in the graphviz
suite of tools.  The output looks like this.  The missing font is not
critical to me.
dot -Tpng po_schema.dot -o po_schema.png

Error: Could not find/open font : Times-Roman in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType:/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype:/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF:/usr/share/fonts/TrueType:/usr/share/fonts/truetype:/usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType:/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1:/usr/common/share/fonts/ttf

versions=
graphviz-2.8-3.fc5
graphviz-graphs-2.8-3.fc5
graphviz-devel-2.8-3.fc5

5.) Use the Eye of Gnome application to view the png output file.  eog
view the file ok.  Since the terminal is open all sorts of messages are
generated.  So far these don't look bad either.
eog po_schema.png

No profile, not correcting
<snip 52 repeating messages>
No profile, not correcting

6.) Find an issue in the graph produced by the dot file.  Make a change.
 In the change that generated this problem I deleted one semicolon.  Use
:w to save the changes.  The terminal window produces these results:

(eog:20655): GLib-WARNING **: GError set over the top of a previous
GError or uninitialized memory.
This indicates a bug in someone's code. You must ensure an error is NULL
before it's set.
The overwriting error message was: MTime or mime type not available

(eog:20655): GLib-WARNING **: GError set over the top of a previous
GError or uninitialized memory.
This indicates a bug in someone's code. You must ensure an error is NULL
before it's set.
The overwriting error message was: MTime or mime type not available

(eog:20655): GLib-WARNING **: GError set over the top of a previous
GError or uninitialized memory.
This indicates a bug in someone's code. You must ensure an error is NULL
before it's set.
The overwriting error message was: MTime or mime type not available

(eog:20655): GLib-WARNING **: GError set over the top of a previous
GError or uninitialized memory.
This indicates a bug in someone's code. You must ensure an error is NULL
before it's set.
The overwriting error message was: MTime or mime type not available

So that error looked like there's a reportable problem.  More
importantly it is reproducible message.

I am thinking I am already asking for problems.  I installed all of the
FC5 packages on the 5 isos x86 version.  I also used the "linux xen0" at
anaconda boot time to install Xen. Then just because I wanted to what
was available, I installed all the packages that I could from the extras
repository.  19gig later I have a working system.  Man there's a lot of
interesting applications.  ;-)

Things seem to work most of the time.  However, there are times when
firefox is in use that firefox crashes and it looks like X restarts. I
believe there were times back when FC5 first came out that the computer
would restart too.  So it is when these two things occur on the same
machine, I think it might be worth looking into.

Perhaps the gvim/dot/eog issues is truly just gnome application error?
But it doesn't look good when gvim saves an unrelated text file and eog
squirts out an error for a binary image file that is being viewed.

I just took a snap shot of my /var/log directory for further investigation.

I thought I had croned my yum updates.  I know the first order of
business would be to to apply the recent rpm updates.  But before I do,
how would you like me to proceed to track these tow issues down?

Regards,
Greg