problems with parted from the second virtual terminal during kickstart.

George R Goffe grgoffe at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 4 03:23:11 UTC 2006

Howdy,

I'm doing a kickstart that includes a parted invocation in the %pre section of the
ks.cfg file. I goofed in the command syntax so I tried entering it on this second
virtual terminal.

I got a stack trace when I entered the print command. I tried "parted >& outputfile"
and "parted > outputfile 2>&1 outputfile" but was not able to capture the stack
trace. Am I missing something here?

I also got some messages from parted from the following script included in the %pre
section that are a little perplexing. Maybe another UFU? Parted complained about the
100% and stated that it was unable to give me everything I'd asked for. Doesn't 100%
mean the rest of the drive? I replaced 100% with 99% and it worked.

Any/all hints/tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

George...

parted -s /dev/sda mkpart primary ext3  0g 1g
parted -s /dev/sda mkpart primary ext3  1g 2g
parted -s /dev/sda mkpart primary linux-swap  2g 3g
parted -s /dev/sda mkpart extended      3g 100%
parted -s /dev/sda mkpart logical ext3  3g 5g
parted -s /dev/sda mkpart logical ext3  5g 8g
parted -s /dev/sda mkpart logical ext3  8g 23g
parted -s /dev/sda mkpart logical ext3 23g 100%

=====
"It's not what you know that hurts you, It's what you know that ain't so." Will Rogers