Proposals for mono-basic and monodoc

Paul paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Sat Nov 4 13:13:18 UTC 2006

Hi,

What is the depth of feeling for moving mono-basic into extras and
monodoc into core?

This isn't a troll as I'm sure everyone around here knows of my interest
in Mono being the main person who brings mono apps and libraries into
extras.

To me, having monodoc in core makes sense. Everything mono uses it for
it's central documentation application and the likes of monodevelop plug
into it for it's developer help system. In terms of application
development, it sits with the likes of devhelp and the equivalent Java
help system.

Bringing mono-basic out of core is probably more problematic with some
pretty convincing arguments on both sides. For me, taking it out of core
now that Novell have branched it for a different development path from
the core mono package means that now we have the 1.2 branch, mono-basic
will be on a long term catch-up programme. This (to me) makes it a more
appropriate Extras than Core package (it's the same argument as was had
a while back with the kernel modules in core that were permanently
needing updating, but rarely were).

I'm happy for monodoc to move into core. I'm equally happy to continue
maintaining it in extras. The same applies to mono-basic; fine where it
stands, I'm happy to do what I did with gtk-sharp and maintain it in
Extras.

For information : I've have had >300 downloads of the new 1.2 packages
from my website since they went up last night.

TTFN

Paul
--
"Der einzige Weg, Leute zu kontrollieren ist sie anzulügen" - L. Ron
"Ich kann kein Science-Fiction schreiben" Hubbard; Lügner, Betrüger,