Argh! Help!

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Wed Nov 8 18:00:26 UTC 2006

On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 01:47:23PM +0000, Paul wrote:
> ... as all I get now when I boot up is that it unmounts the
> old /proc, /sys etc directory and when it tries to mount the new /proc ,
> complains that it can't and cannot recover from this.

It this from initrd?  The same when booting an older kernel?
If you can boot that way then just remake initrd as needed.
Also are you able to boot "single-user"?

> Please help - how to I get out of this fix? I've got the rescue disc,
> have mounted and can chroot to /mnt/sysimage and it seems mostly okay.

While on a rescue system 'rpm -r /mnt/sysimage -V glibc', and similar
for other suspects (check /mnt/sysimage/var/log/yum.log for recent
changes), and when you will find a culprit just reinstall it.
Verify all recent updates.

   Michal