FC6Pre nfs install fails

Ernest L. Williams Jr. ernesto at ornl.gov
Sun Oct 1 18:02:51 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-10-01 at 10:58 -0600, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 01, 2006 at 11:02:41AM -0400, Ernest L. Williams Jr. wrote:
> > On Sun, 2006-10-01 at 10:50 -0400, Ernest L. Williams Jr. wrote:
> > > Somewhere around 70% into the install process some file conflict results
> > > and installation halts.
> >
> > I tried to upgrade to recover my batched install but now all I get is
> > the "grub>" prompt.
> >
> > Can anyone help me get out of this mess?
>
> If you are really something like 70% done then most likely you do
> have a bootable if an incomplete system (unless initrd for your
> kernel was not written yet).  Pretty good chance that you have
> at least a workable text-mode console.  The catch is that a grub
> installation, which means a boot sector among other things, is
> done close to the very end.
>
> You can do two things.  You can boot your system typing
> boot commands directly at a grub prompt.  Start with
> root(<whatever>)
> to point to that device where your kernel and initrd reside.
> grub helps expanding possible choices.  See 'info grub' for
> more information.  Once you booted then you can install
> grub yourself.  Check "Installing GRUB natively" section in
> 'info grub'.
Okay, I did the following:
grub> root (hd0,1)

grub> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2708.fc6
   [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1e00, size=0x1e6599]

grub> initrd /initrd-2.6.18-1.2708.fc6.img
    [Linux-initrd @ 0x37ddc000, 0x213a86 bytes]

grub> boot

After booting up, I got a console login.  Of course, I don't have a
login/password.  Now, I need to reset the root password.  Can I do this
from grub as well?

Ultimately, I need to get back to the rescue CD as I will want to do a
fresh install.  Wow, what a weekend and I am still spending it just for
the install.  Well, hopefully my experience may help others.

Thanks for all who are helping me get FC6Pre installed. :)

-- Ernest