cpu scaling questions

Thomas J. Baker tjb at unh.edu
Mon Oct 2 13:45:27 UTC 2006

I've got two questions related to cpu scaling. On my laptop I've got a
Core 2 Duo. Can the two cores scale frequencies independently? Most of
the time that doesn't seem like the case but every once in a while, my
cpufreq applets show different speeds. I'm assuming that there is just a
bit of slop involved and the two cores are always the same speed.

On my desktop, I've got Xeon CPUs that support limited scaling; they run
at either 2.8 or 3.4GHz. On FC5, they used to scale on demand but under
FC6 they don't and the cpufreq applet has a manual setting for 2.8 or
3.4 with an automatic setting that is greyed out.

Thanks,

tjb
| Thomas Baker                                  email: tjb at unh.edu    |