Re: init 3 problems: xorg spikes to 100% cpu

Justin Conover wrote:
On 10/3/06, Adam Jackson <ajackson redhat com> wrote:

Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 11:13:05AM -0500, Justin Conover wrote:
>> Running *init 3* from gnome-terminal, sends Xorg to 100% cpu
utilization and
>> never drops to init 3.
>
> Does it make a difference is you will do 'telinit 3'?  A section
> CHANGING RUNLEVELS in 'man init' explicitely talks about telinit.

The same man page also mentions how, for any instance of the program
where getpid() != 1, it acts like telinit.

As with any program that hits 100% CPU usage, ssh in, attach to it with
gdb, get a backtrace, find out where it's spinning.

- ajax

--

I will give that a go tomorrow.  I'm not that famillar with gdb and getting
backtrace's, can you list what I should do.

su -
yum install xorg-x11-server-debuginfo (plus relevant driver debuginfo)
gdb `which Xorg` `pidof Xorg`

and at the (gdb) prompt, type 'bt'.

- ajax