FC6 Test4 : Desktop effects could not be enabled

Laurent Trillaud laurent at trillaud.com
Fri Oct 13 20:34:24 UTC 2006

oldman wrote:
> Laurent Trillaud wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I have a Dell Inspiron 9400 with a GeForce 7900GS. The FC6 test4
>> (pre-release) is full update on Oct 12.
>> Kernel is 2.6.18.1-2759 and GeForce driver v1.0.9625 from NVidia.
>>
>> I can't start AIGLX Desktop effects. Instead I got "Desktop effects
>> could not be enabled".
>>
>> Any idea?
>> Thanks in advance
>> Laurent
>>

> 	You could try this, though I haven't tested it against the new .9625
> driver, Livna bugzilla says that the new xorg does not set this
> variable.  Anyway edit your xorg.conf's [ServerLayout] section to
> include the entry:
>
>         InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
>
> You'll need to restart X after you've successfully saved this
> (Ctrl-Alt-BSpace) then try enabling desktop-effects again.  You may have
> to restart X again, assuming that you don't get that error again.  At
> least that's what the install notes say!
>
> HTH
> Scott

Thanks, but it doesn't work.
I'am still fighting :
- with with nvidia driver that don't compile without patch with new kernel.
- with compiling compiz or the fork beryl
- with configuring xorg.conf
But, it's my choice, no problem for me.
The problem, will be for regular users, that will download Fedora Core 6
final release in few days to see the new desktop with AIGLX and where,
at least for nvidia owner, will don't see only "Desktop effects could
not be enabled".
I just hope that this great feature will be available for the mass.
Thanks.
Laurent