Default ip6tables rules

Dawid Gajownik gajownik at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 18:12:07 UTC 2006

Hi!

	My University got few weeks ago IPv6 addresses from RIPE so I have now
chance to test IPv6 protocol :-) I started searching for IPv6 enabled
hosts in the Internet. ping6 worked, so had traceroute6. I could not
connect to ftp/www sites, though. I started wireshark and noticed, that
apps do not finish three-way handshake (no ACK packet). Disabling
ip6tables service resolved the problem...

	Is something wrong with my box (network rawhide installation from 13
October) or these are normal firewall settings?

[root at viper ~]# service ip6tables status
Tablica: filter
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
num  target     prot opt source               destination
1    RH-Firewall-1-INPUT  all      ::/0                 ::/0

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
num  target     prot opt source               destination
1    RH-Firewall-1-INPUT  all      ::/0                 ::/0

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
num  target     prot opt source               destination

Chain RH-Firewall-1-INPUT (2 references)
num  target     prot opt source               destination
1    ACCEPT     all      ::/0                 ::/0
2    ACCEPT     icmpv6    ::/0                 ::/0
3    ACCEPT     esp      ::/0                 ::/0
4    ACCEPT     ah       ::/0                 ::/0
5    ACCEPT     udp      ::/0                 ff02::fb/128       udp
dpt:5353
6    ACCEPT     udp      ::/0                 ::/0               udp dpt:631
7    ACCEPT     tcp      ::/0                 ::/0               tcp dpt:631
8    ACCEPT     all      ::/0                 ::/0               state
RELATED,ESTABLISHED
9    ACCEPT     tcp      ::/0                 ::/0               state
NEW tcp dpt:22
10   DROP       all      ::/0                 ::/0

[root at viper ~]#

BTW I noticed that Firefox does not try to use IPv6 addresses before
IPv4 ones O_o

Regards,
	Dawid

--