titlebars with aixgl and nvidia drivers fc6

Marc Schwartz MSchwartz at mn.rr.com
Wed Oct 18 13:44:31 UTC 2006

listman wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-10-17 at 12:10 -0500, Marc Schwartz wrote:
>> Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
>>> I've seen this too, with gnome-window-decorator running, so it looks
>>> like there's a problem with nvidia's driver, but it could also be
>>> something with our compiz patch set, I guess.
>>>
>>> Kristian
>> There is a known bug with the 9625 and the new 9626 beta drivers
>> pertaining to the implementation of the TFP (texture from pixmap)
>> functionality. This appears to result in various issues with compositing
>> managers, whether it be compiz, compiz-quinn or beryl.
>>
>> nVidia is aware of this and is hopefully moving forward with a fix.  It
>> appears to be related to the amount of video ram available. So it will
>> show up at varying times depending upon how much video ram is being used
>> as a consequence of how many apps/windows are open, how many displays
>> are being run (ie. single display versus TwinView), and so forth.
>>
>> I posted a "me too" bug report on this yesterday here (#13):
>>
>>    http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77248
>>
>> and take note of post #4 by jamesjones.
>>
>> Many of the reports that I have seen in various forums regarding the
>> presence or lack of window decorations, white/black/blank windows/cubes,
>> etc. may be an outcome of this underlying issue.  The white window/cube
>> issue seems to be more prevalent with XGL installations as opposed to
>> AIGLX systems.
>>
>> Note that previously, I had used XGL on my FC5 system with the current
>> stable nVidia driver (8774) and had compiz-quinn running without
>> problems. So we seem to be in a bit of transition with nVidia's current
>> beta drivers supporting TFP and the use of AIGLX.
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> Marc Schwartz
>>

> I know most have already tried this but I thought it might help the new
> guys.
>
> This is how a few people have gotten the borders to show up.
> Under Section "ServerLayout" add
> 	Option		"AIGLX"	"true"
> Under Section "Device" add
> 	Option	"AddARGBGLXVisuals" "on"
> also make sure your screen depth is set to 24, I can not get it to work
> set at 32
> I'm using nvida beta driver 9625 (didn't know ther was a new one) and
> still stuck on T3 YMMV
>
> HTH someone

FWIW, I also get inconsistent behavior relative to getting or not
getting the emerald window decorations and I do have, as noted in the
nvnews thread, all of those options set.

I do think that this rather unpredictable behavior for nVidia beta
driver users is a consequence of the underlying TFP implementation bug.
The inconsistency being an outcome of the vram issue and happening or
not happening depending upon how many windows/apps are open, etc and
where the system stands with respect to vram use. How much vram is on
the card is also of course a key factor, such that those with higher
capacity video cards of say 256 Mb and higher, will see this behavior
less than those with say 32 or 64 Mb cards.

HTH,

Marc