Re: Terrible display flickering after FC5 update today

On 10/25/06, Johannes Erdfelt <johannes erdfelt com> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 25, 2006, Tom Horsley <tomhorsley adelphia net> wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 12:53:58 -0400
> Neal Becker <ndbecker2 gmail com> wrote:
>
> > Neal Becker wrote:
> >
> > > After today's fc5 update, I now have a horrible random flickering on my
> > > display.  I only hope fc6 (when I can finally get bt to download it) will
> > > repair it.
> >
> > Went away after reboot.  This is probably just a different manifestation of
> > an (apparent) race condition with starting the X server.
>
> Not sure what you mean by flickering, but with my radeon I have noticed
> (much more often on FC6 test than FC5) that it sometimes acts like the dpms
> monitor shut-down stuff gets triggered randomly every few seconds. It will
> go through a really bad time, then it will stop happening for a while. Video
> just keeps turning on and off. If I reboot enough, I'll eventually get
> to a state where it no longer does it (until the next time I reboot :-).

What monitor do you use?

I had a similar problem with my Dell 2000FP. Turned out to be a timing
problem between the ATI card and the monitor.

I was able to hack my X driver to use a lower timing and almost
completely solve the problem (every blue moon it would flicker once).

You can also check the archives for past discussions.

JE

I've had the same problem with FC5.  My solution - ctrl-alt-f1 to
switch to a text console followed by alt-f7 to return to X clears it
up.  The problem seems to happen on bootup, but weeks can pass without
a problem (assuming no reboot) after using the above technique.

John