Installer defaults to external video port

Mike A. Harris mharris at mharris.ca
Mon Sep 4 20:42:03 UTC 2006

Patrick wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 15:24 -0400, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> [snip]
>>> Is there any way to force the installer to use the internal LVDS video
>>> port instead of the external CRTC1 video port?
>> MonitorLayout is the only way.
>
> If it's the only way do you know if there is a way to specify something
> like radeonlayout=LVDS,NONE as a boot parameter that gets automagically
> inserted into the X config?

Not that I'm aware of, but Jeremy Katz would know for sure.  I suspect
there is no such install time option though, as there are probably 50
to 100 different driver workaround options in various drivers throughout
X, as well as server options all intended to work around either hardware
or driver limitations of this nature.  The anaconda development team
is probably not too keen on adding a bunch of driver workaround options
for things that are easily worked around either via kickstart or
by manual editing or shell scripting post install.  In short... don't
hold your breath. ;o)

>> I'm not sure if anyone upstream is currently working on a solution to
>> this long standing problem or not, but it'll likely be sorted out
>> eventually.  Until then, MonitorLayout specified manually by the user
>> is the only option, or sticking with a much older (and no longer
>> supported) OS release that predates the display detection code going
>> to hell.  ;o)
>
> Nah that's no option. I'm rather attached to the latest and greatest
> with all its oddities :)

I've been thinking about making some custom packaging to allow multiple
versions of modular X to co-exist, to have one's cake and eat it too
so to speak...   Not a major priority to me currently, but something
I might play with in wintertime or thereabouts...

--
Mike A. Harris * Open Source Advocate * http://mharris.ca

Linux fans:  Check out Tym Morrison's hit new heavy metal single
"Only Linux" at http://tymmorrison.com - If you would like to support
this great Canadian metal artist and open source fanatic, you can buy
a copy of Tym's Solo Project CD at the "Buy CD" link on his site.