Default monospace font

I see that I missed the discussion of the default font change, already, and quite the pity. I vastly prefer Luxi to DejaVu, especially the monospace font. DejaVu is just a little bit hideous.

What's the easiest way to change the preferred fonts? I tried moving Luxi Mono to the top of the "prefer" list in /etc/fonts/conf.d/60-latin.conf, but Thunderbird and gnome-terminal both seem to still be using DejaVu. I'd prefer not to have to change the font in multiple places if I don't have to. :)