Latest update to Fc6 test3 causes screen lockup

Arch Willingham arch at tuparks.com
Sun Sep 24 13:03:24 UTC 2006

I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 laptop that I have been running via FC5, then Fc6 test2 and FC6 test3 . It works fine, at least until yesterday.

I did a bunch of YUMEX updates yesterday and later rebooted. The start up process all goes fine. It goes from character based to GUI, keeps going through different parts of the boot. The screen sort of changes to blue where it is supposed to go to the log-on screen and the whole thing freezes with a funky 1" x 1" block of white squiggles in the middle.I tried hitting 'ctrl-alt-F1' etc, it does not react to that. The computer keeps running because I can pull the wireless card out and the drive light starts blinking.

If, when it boots, I go to the grub process and get rid of "rhgb quiet" and change the line to say:

"kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2689.fc6 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00"

it will boot just fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Arch