keyboard settings unstable in fc6t3++

 Hello all,
My keyboard is behaving very weirdly today. I have a UK keyboard, with a @ near return and a " being shift-2. however, the effect of the buttons is reversed today. If I look in system->Administration->Keyboard it has a list of keyboards, and UK is currently selected. If I click on 'UK' all is OK again - the keyboard instantly operates correctly. Then a while
later, not sure how long (maybe logout??) it goes wrong.
I update frequently, but I have no idea which rpm may have caused this. I know it doesn't come ne into the usual class of 'fc6 blockers' but it seems pretty serious to me...
                   Bill