Fedora(rawhide) and XFCE 4.4 beta 2

Kevin Fenzi kevin-redhat-beta at scrye.com
Mon Sep 25 17:39:29 UTC 2006

Paul> Kevin Fenzi wrote: ...
>> You must currently remove the old plugins.  I am talking with the
>> maintainer of the plugins to try and get some new versions in my
>> repo so the update works fine. That will of course get addressed
>> before anything goes into the main devel repo.

Paul> Any progress on this front?

Yes. Christoph (who maintains the plugins in extras) has been working
hard at getting them all rebuild against the (now rc1) rpms.

Some of the plugins are still only available as svn snapshots, so it's
been tricky to get them all.

He pretty much has them all working now, and I have obsoleted the ones
where functionality has moved into the panel or the like.

I expect in the next few days we can get them all into my beta/rc repo
for testing. In particular it will be nice to test upgrades from the
4.3.2 versions to 4.4rc1.

Paul> I recently had cause to start carting my laptop around much more
Paul> frequently than I had been up to that point (my laptop had been
Paul> pretty much a desktop system for all intents and purposes).  And
Paul> I quickly found that suspend/resume was mia for Xfce.  I have no

There is no Xfce suspend/resume tool... I use gnome-power-manager just
fine here. ;)

Paul> idea what kind of support exists in Xfce44 for laptop
Paul> suspend/resume but I now know that Gnome suspect/resume support
Paul> (in the soon to be FC6 distro) is terrific.  Of course then I
Paul> had to wrestle with Gnome and suspend/resume and a wealth of
Paul> "plugin" features but no B5 theme and no main/system context
Paul> menu vs Xfce with B5 and great menus and just a nice feel but no
Paul> suspend/resume and no plugins.  It was a hard and raucous battle
Paul> but Xfce finally won out. :-) Life will sure be a lot better
Paul> when plugins are available, not to mentions suspend/resume.

yeah, should be available in the next few days...
watch this space for a widespread call for testing. ;)

If we can get enough folks saying it works for them (in particular
smooth upgrades from 4.3.2) we will look at pushing it into extras in
time for fc6 (fingers crossed).

Paul> -pmr

kevin