rhgb freezing computer

Adam Jackson ajackson at redhat.com
Tue Sep 26 20:08:40 UTC 2006

Alan Cox wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 03:37:20PM -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
>> Alan Cox wrote:
>> The X server is stuck in vt_waitactive(), in TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE.
>> Somehow it's getting onto the wait queue and then never coming off it.
>>
>> Amusingly, if I try to attach with gdb or strace, I get -EPERM, the
>> syscall interrupts, we don't retry the VT_WAITACTIVE ioctl (which is a
>> bug I suppose) and X carries on loading just fine.  So it feels like
>> there's some path where we've switched VT without updating fg_console.

This is actually a lie.  If i interrupt the waitactive, I get no
keyboard.  Which sort of makes sense, since I don't really have the VT,
I'm not going to get any input from it.  But if I don't really have the
VT then I shouldn't be able to do any of the subsequent ioctls on the VT
fd either.  Creepy.

> Can't help on the gdb stuff, if it happens as root and selinux is on
> then beat up James Morris and co, if it happens with selinux off too beat
> up DaveJ
>
> Does the waitactive sleep happen only rarely when switching or regularly /

VT_WAITACTIVE only ever gets called from xf86OpenConsole, which is in
the server generation path (and _not_ in normal EnterVT, which is sort
of disturbing).  This appears to only be possible to trigger during
server init, and specifically in the handoff from rhgb's X server to gdm's.

- ajax