Ethernet still unreliable in 2944

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R caf at omen.com
Tue Apr 17 18:05:35 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 10:50 -0400, Chuck Ebbert wrote:
> Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
> > Just a reminder that the previously reported ethernet
> > unreliability is still present in kernel 2944.  The
> > last good kernel was 2869.  I have not seen this problem
> > in 2869 or previous kernels.
> This is Bugzilla #231687. Nobody seems to have an answer for it.
I hope this bug didn't find its way into RHEL5.

When the bug hits, the two-way connection between the omen.com
box and the internet is severed.  The local network connects
to the motherboard NIC and is not affected. The bug generally
pops up when there is moderate activity on the PCI NIC
connected to the internet and light activity on the local
net.

I did not experience this bug during the day or so I was
using x86_64 fc7t3.  Until whatever happened to vncserver
in x86_64 fc7t3 that prevents the Gnome desktop from working
(previously reported) is fixed, I won't be running the 64 bit kernel
long enough for the bug to appear.
--
Chuck Forsberg    caf at omen.com   www.omen.com   503-614-0430
10255 NW Old Cornelius Pass Portland OR 97231   FAX 629-0665