Announcing Fedora 7 Test 4 (6.93)

Kevin DeKorte kdekorte at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 22:34:29 UTC 2007

> Intel graphics users may now find themselves switched onto the new
> modesetting driver.  All i945 and i965 chips should now use it by
> default, as well as i915GM (mostly laptops and small-form-factor
> machines).  Please yell if anything doesn't work.
>
> - ajax

Adam,

Sorry to report, but the intel driver on the Aopen MiniPC 915-B still
has problems. I'm using the f7t4 live cd to test this.

xrandr reports the LVDS and TMDS-1 connected even though the machine
only has a DVI port on the back of it. The option "MonitorLayout" does
not seem to work, and it is not in the man page for intel. So because of
this the max res I can get on my machine is 1024x768 even though the
external monitor that is connected can do 1680x1050 and xrandr detects
that it can do (I can see the res under TDMS-1). I tried running

xrandr --output LVDS --off

but that didn't seem to do anything. The command line of the new xrandr
seems really tricky to understand and I'm normally pretty good with
them. I think the fact that LVDS can only do 1024x768 limits the ability
of the TDMS-1 output to do more than 1024x768.

However, even if I can get it to work using xrandr, I'm gonna need a way
to make it work on bootup in the xorg.conf file. So there is going to
have to be a way to specify how to control that.

I also tried the i810 driver but the best rez I could get out of that
was 13xx x 7xx (forgot to write it down) so that was not much better.
xrandr however did report only one output and maybe that was because I
still had the monitor layout in the xorg.conf file

In FC6 I use the i810 driver with Option "MonitorLayout" "DFP" and it
works great. I would use the intel driver in FC6, but dpms doesn't seem
to work and so my monitor never goes to sleep like it does using the
i810 driver.

The good news is the intel driver is 200FPS faster in glxgears than the
one in FC6. So it is almost back up to the speed it was in FC5.

FC5 (1000fps)
FC6 (600fps)
F7t4 (800fps)

Kevin