fc7t4: still eating babies?

Benjamin Kosnik bkoz at redhat.com
Sun Apr 29 16:43:05 UTC 2007

> Type linux rescue, answer all the questions, might as well skip
> mounting any partitions.
>
> grub
> root (hd0,0)
> setup (hd0)
> quit
> exit

Thanks. This saved me.

> However, I've recently seen a completely different problem than grub
> getting borked. Somehow, at some random time, the boot order of the
> disks in my bios gets scrogged. Whenever I can't boot, I've now learned
> I need to go into the bios, and put back the original disk order.
> I don't know if this is something in fedora poking a stick in my bios
> flash memory, or just the first signs of the flash memory going bad.
> It did seem to start happening right about the time I first installed
> an fc7 test release.

I was having problems with an external USB keyboard after this. I
reset my BIOS to default settings and the problem went away.

This boot order fragility thing really sucks.

Not being super helpful here with the details but I'm in damage control mode.

Incidentally, problem 3 is that if I turn on an esata drive (ie
hot-plug drive 3) then then init cannot find the root filesystem.

-benjamin