sd, sd, who's got the sd

John Reiser jreiser at BitWagon.com
Mon Apr 30 20:22:23 UTC 2007

> Maybe everything would be a lot smoother in the future if we started
> using UUID instead of LABEL for installs? Or at least picked some more
> sensible labels such as "F7-/", "F7-/boot", "F7t3-/" etc. Maybe even
> lurk in a "short UUID" there (ext3 fs labels are limited to 32 bytes
> IIRC): for example "F7-1234abcd-/".
>
> Anyway; right now it's some what a mess having more than one Fedora
> install on your drives and, from my personal experience, this have
> discouraged me from doing such things.

I change the label every time I install ("tune2fs -L /F7-32 /dev/sdaX",
/etc/fstab, grub.conf).  I would prefer that the Edit button of the
manual partitioning dialogs allow me to specify a new label,
but it is not too onerous to do it by hand.

What is really bad about having more than one Fedora/Red Hat/CentOS
install on a box, is that you can *DESTROY DATA* by mounting an ext3
filesystem that does not use the same SELinux parameters as the current
kernel.  So I try to remember to mount "foreign" ext3 as read-only.