sd, sd, who's got the sd

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Apr 30 20:44:11 UTC 2007

On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 04:11:43PM -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> Maybe everything would be a lot smoother in the future if we started
> using UUID instead of LABEL for installs? Or at least picked some more
> sensible labels such as "F7-/", "F7-/boot", "F7t3-/" etc. Maybe even
> lurk in a "short UUID" there (ext3 fs labels are limited to 32 bytes
> IIRC): for example "F7-1234abcd-/".
>
> Anyway; right now it's some what a mess having more than one Fedora
> install on your drives and, from my personal experience, this have
> discouraged me from doing such things.

You might also hit this situation if you have Xen / KVM guests using
parititions in the host as their virtual disks, if they don't use a
nested partition table inside the guest. eg, you end up with something
crazy like /dev/sda1 is labeled '/' for the host, but you setup a
guest with /dev/sdd1 as its root, which also ends up labeled '/' by
default. To avoid this we recommend people partition /dev/sdd1 inside
the guest & have anaconda do this by default, but including a short UUID
would address that problem more generally.

Similarly there is fun & games with logical volume names - both host and
guest use VolGroup00 by default. So if you want to access data from a guest
partition in the host its very easy to get totally & utterly confused.

Dan.