sd, sd, who's got the sd

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Mon Apr 30 23:29:17 UTC 2007

CA> That also goes bad when you always use LogVolume00 (or whatever it
CA> is) as the LVM volume group name.  I make the volume group name
CA> match the short part of the hostname (usually with something added
CA> for OS, so something like "kosh_f7_64".

Actually, I think this is practically mandatory, unless someone knows
of a way to activate two VGs with the same name at the same time or to
rename a VG without activating it first.  Otherwise you have to
actually rename your system VG.

I had an emergency over the weekend where I pulled a system drive from
a dead machine and stuck it in a USB enclosure; it was amazing how
difficult it was to access it since I made the mistake of using "vg0"
for all of my system VGs.

 - J<