Fc8 test1 kernel backported to fc7 -- qualitive impressions

Christopher Brown snecklifter at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 08:18:44 UTC 2007

On 12/08/07, Leslie Satenstein <lsatenstein at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I guess then I should report then that pup is very unsociable and at times
> hogs the network, blocking other applications from sharing  eth0.

Please keep discussions on-list. Applications do not get blocked from
sharing eth0 or any other network interface, at least not without
malice. Applications will saturate a connection if they so require -
fire up a bittorrent share of f8t1, then try and browse the internet
and you'll see what I mean.

> Yes, I used the test environment to copy fc8 kernel to fc7.
> I was noting what I was experiencing and that either pup was not put at the
> back of the dispatch queue ,

eh?

> and so, neither Firefox or evolution could
> startup properly, and the latter twp timed out.
>
> My experience is other kernels, which supported multiplel round robin
> queues,  (Interactive, batch and I/O queue), and not with linux).
>
> Why then should pup (from my perspective) hang on to eth0 for so long. I
> thought that tcp/ip could multi-thread.

You're talking nonsense. Applications are multi-threaded, protocols
know nothing of threads and do not implement them. Please also don't
use words like backport unless you understand their meaning.

> And yes, I wrote and I admitted that it was qualitative. I was hoping for
> some feedback which would be informative.  If I didn't think something was
> amis, I would not have written­­.  I guess it is best to wait for November;
> why waste my time, and yours.

Quite. You'll have people chasing rainbows with posts like this.
Please also do not top-post.

Chris

--
http://www.chruz.com